An importer must apply to the Trade Board for an Order and Clearance Permit, and obtain the Permit before shipping the vehicle. You must also secure the services of a licensed Customs Broker to clear the vehicle on arrival - an individual is not permitted to do this. The procedures are to be carried out as follows:
Application for an Order and Clearance Permit - The importer must first secure from the Trade Board, complete in triplicate, and present for valuation and approval an Order and Clearance Permit Individual Application Form. This application must be accompanied by the following items:
1. If the vehicle is new, you should get a pro-form invoice from the dealer, detailing the model, accessories, and c.i.f. value;
2. If you already own the vehicle you should provide a certificate of title or registration document;
3. If you are importing a used vehicle, you should supply an odometer statement;
4. You should also provide two forms of identification which may be any of the following:
- Driver's License
- Voter's Registration Card, or
- National Identification Card.
If you are applying for the Order and Clearance Permit before you depart for Jamaica, supplies of the form are held at Diplomatic and Consular Missions overseas from which they may be collected or requested by mail.